Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Like Mother, Like Daughter

So you learn a lot of things growing up the oldest in the family, and witnessing your mom's later pregnancies. For some reason, the bit of information that has always stuck with me is that the glucose test is the worst thing imaginable. I've been dreading it since I was like 12- no lie. I don't know if my mom stressed this a ton, or if her description just made a more vivid impression than most things. But anyway, I was dreading it.

Then I took the one hour screening test- fully expecting to die on the spot. Much to my surprise, it wasn't that bad! Gosh, I thought, this is a piece of cake... or a little sweeter. Totally, not bad. Then, it came back too high, so I had to take the three hour test. Worst experience of my life! I could barely get the stuff down, and keep it down after that. So after 5 hours at the hospital on Saturday, I finally had that one over. I thought, even if I have gestational diabetes, eating healthy for a couple months won't be near as bad as that test!

But the good news is that it came back negative. :) Should have listened to my mom on that one too. She always had to go back for the 3 hour, and never had gestational diabetes. I kinda wish we could skip that step, but oh well. We celebrated by eating bowls of sugar for dinner. haha, not really - we had a real nutritious meal. I'm still gonna try to watch the sugar intake, but it is kind of nice to not have to worry about it quite as much.

4 comments:

  1. piece of cake?! too bad you couldn't eat it. haha. i'm glad it all turned out okay. especially now that you can eat normal again. eating that amish bread was no fun without you. we need to do that again (now that you can join in). call me or something. loves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're glad everything turned out ok, but sorry the test was so yucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I didn't even know that there was a three hour test! I'm sorry you had to go through that, but congratulations on passing it :) Isn't pregnancy great?! Aaron is now starting to notice that I don't get up from chairs very quickly and getting out of bed is more like falling off and catching myself. I am feeling very big :) But we are getting so excited to have our baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make getting pregnant sound so fun...

    ReplyDelete