Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sewing Stockings

Ok. So I'll start off by saying that I am not a seamstress. I do have a sewing machine. I have used it once during the last 4ish years- the night before my sister went into the MTC. We were trying to sew some extra buttons on her shirts so that they could be buttoned all the way up to her collar. So, I broke out my sewing machine to try to do the button holes. Very stressful and we never got it to work. And I have just assumed it was broken, and haven't used it since. But this year I needed to make Alan's stocking. Luckily the whole front I sewed by hand, but I needed to machine sew the back to the front. So I busted out my sewing machine and... it worked! Great news for all. Though it took me about 15 minutes to figure out how to sew a straight line, we did get the task accomplished. (It would only sew zigzag. There's a random separate dial that controls straight lines... nothing like my mom's machine) Anyway, I am quite proud of the finished product...



And here's all three!



So there you go. My crafty side must prevail about once a year. Another thing done off my Christmas "to do" list!

9 comments:

  1. 1. i made a blog for my class so i had to change my username to 'ms. knight.' cool, right? ha.

    2. how is it that you're so much better at sewing than me - i did win the home ec award, remember!

    just kidding, your stockings look awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so if you are just an alright seamstress then this gives me hope! I think those stockings are VERY cute! and I don't sew tons (mostly the seams around blankets...yeah). So I don't think I'll have time to make any before this christmas (I have way too many random projects going on) but I might have to call you and get your instructions on how u did these! They look so good for you saying that they weren't hard! Good job! Oh and your little guy is really cute! he is so much chubbier than T.J. has ever been! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great!! You'll have to teach me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, Janelle. Such a cute little train and stocking. Have fun in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops...sorry, I meant what a cute little train and candy cane. It's been a long day of shoveling snow. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should have mentioned that my mom made my stocking when I was little. She showed me and I just made Scott's and Alan's. For those of you wanting to know how to make the stockings, I'd be happy to teach you. The most important thing is to use felt. Felt doesn't fray so you don't have to hem/turn any of the sides under. You just cut the shape you want and sew around it. Super simple, but a little time consuming. They also make stick on felt so you wouldn't have to sew it, but it doesn't look quite as good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I am very impressed! I am defiantly not that crafty. They look terrific though!

    ReplyDelete