Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Make Way for Swans!

It is such a beautiful, beautiful spring here in Boston.  There are flowering trees every where you look and it is just gorgeous.  The allergens say otherwise, but besides that, so so so pretty.  One of the prettiest places I've ever been in spring.


Yesterday, Alan and I braved the "T" for the first time and went down to the Public Garden in downtown Boston.  (completely unforgivable that I forgot my camera!!!!)  They had a fun little event where they released Romeo and Juliet, Boston's 2 swans that have been at the zoo all winter, into the pond at the Public Garden.  Of course the swan boats were running, and there were plenty of ducks as well.  Alan had a blast.  A park ranger read a big copy of Make Way for Ducklings in front of the statue.  Then we had a little parade behind the swans through the gardens and I cannot stress how beautiful all the trees and tulips were.  The mayor released the swans and then they had cookies, lemonade, and ice cream for everyone.  It was the most beautiful day and a truly wonderful Boston experience.  

Here's the Make Way for Ducklings statue.  Like I said, no camera, so this pic is from wikipedia.  If I had taken one today there would have been children on the back of each of these ducks.  So cute. 
And I just found a few more photos in a local newspaper, and thought I'd post them to compensate for my lack of photos.

Park Ranger reading Make Way for Ducklings

This little girl is in our ward.  They brought out the swans in these glass cages and the kids  all got right up close to see.  Then we followed them around the park.

Releasing the swans

And here's a pic of the swans and swan boats.



1 comment:

  1. This looks so fun! The day after you posted this, the teacher in our class just randomly picked, "Make Way for Ducklings" to read to the kids. I got to tell all about this event and felt pretty smart!

    ReplyDelete