Saturday, March 14, 2009

Hakuna Matata

So basically, I couldn't stand to look at our blog with a picture of our Cougars after the loss last night. I figured it was time to update so that wasn't the first thing I, or anyone else, saw. You know me. I certainly don't like close games or losses. Oh well. We'll see about our seed in the NCAA. #25 should certainly be in the top 65.

It's been a pretty good week here in Provo. Scott and I are so busy, but the good thing is that we both like our jobs/school, etc. The ESL team at Provo High got voted "team of the term" this term. I thought it was really good for our supervisor because ESL doesn't tend to get a lot of recognition. So that was good. Really, I was most excited because I got a gift card to Coldstone. That pretty much made my day. Seriously. :)

But kids are so funny. Sometimes I wish I could just video tape some of the stuff they do. I mean, of course they drive you crazy most days as well, but they are seriously hilarious. So we were doing testing a couple of weeks ago. The test lasted multiple days, but they would finish the test before the period was over, so we showed parts of Lion King at the end of the period on those days. Mind you it was in English with English subtitles. So I'm grading their quizzes on Lion King a few days later and several of the kids are talking about Oscar. And I'm just like- who the heck is Oscar? Took me a few minutes to realize that they meant Scar. Despite the subtitles and the previous questions that mentioned Scar, I guess they thought his name was Oscar. Hilarious. Classic ESL moment.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have one student who is just hilarious and very intelligent. We haven't watched The Lion King for a few weeks now and earlier this week he's in his Geometry class. Mid class he just randomly and loudly blurts out: "I feel about this class like Mufasa felt about the hyenas." I almost died. Where the heck did that come from? I have no idea what made him think of that. And I have no idea how he knew to make such a good comparison. I was actually quite impressed at his ability. :) The teacher didn't know what he was talking about, and neither did most of the other students. They just thought it was funny. He then explained much more quietly to us "I guess it's necessary, but I don't really like it." Haha. He's a good kid.

Well, there are countless more crazy moments and funny awkward happenings every day, but I'll spare you, since you don't know these kids. But teaching, and everything else, is going well here in Provo. We're just crossing our fingers for Selection Sunday. :)

1 comment:

  1. i'm glad your class is keeping you entertained, they make me want to watch the lion king. and congrats on your gift card. all that hard work has really paid off, huh? YUM!

    ReplyDelete